Monday, May 23, 2016

Opening Bounce

I've spent time on one of my other blogs talking about my affection for Australian Rules Football. I'm not a strategist or anything, I think it's interesting and exciting to watch. Admittedly, it looks a lot like a free for all most times, but I'm starting to see a little of the strategy and tactics that go into the game. I also like experiencing a different culture-- what their commentators say, how they say it, etc.

It stems from watching ESPN back in the early-mid 80s when they were showing things like Vic's Vacant Lot. They didn't have a lot of shows, they needed programming to fill time slots, and they didn't own the rights to as many events as they do now. Back in this day, ESPN was a little engine that could. And Aussie Rules Football was something they'd present. There was even a half-hour highlight show hosted by Stephen Quartermain that was a wrap of the week's VFL (Victorian Football League, at that time) matches.

When I was a sailor in the U.S. Navy, we ported in Cairns, in Queensland on the far northeastern coast of Australia. I remember paying too much money for two AFL shirts-- West Coast Eagles and St. Kilda Saints. Both are long since gone to history, as is the annual preview mag I bought.

Fast forward about 20 years, when I've found AFL matches on Fox Sports. I record the games on the weekend and watch them during the week as time allows. I rarely watch a game front to back, and I never watch live (the wife does not share my interest). So it may take me a few days to recap the week that was in the AFL. Because of these delays, I don't follow the AFL on Facebook, and I stay off of Twitter when the matches are being played. Spoilers and everything.

So I hope to share my experiences with the game-- what I saw, how I interpret it, and such. Season 2016 is not quite to the halfway mark.

Off we go.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. When we first got cable in 83, ESPN was notable for Sportscenter, the Canadian Football League, Roller Derby, and my favorite, Australian Rules Football. I didn't know you were such a fan. I haven't watched a match for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those days! I don't know how or why the game grabbed me, it just did. It's nice to be able to pick it back up.

      And I try to watch the CFL when I can find it especially if there is a player or two I want to see, but I can't seem to interest the wife in that either. :)

      Delete